Sunday, November 1, 2009

Potty Training ... My current challenge!

Potty training with child number 5 is now underway. You would think with my previous experience in this department, I could do this with my eyes shut. Yeah, that's what I thought. I think the pure joy that raced through my heart when I thought of being diaper free has clouded my judgement. Or God thought that it would be helpful to give me a challenge to teach me a character trait that I am lacking or needing to polish. Either way, this is not the cake walk that I was hoping for.

I will be the first to admit that I have not been very consistent. I needed a few days where I could just hang out at the house and let him be in underwear. A few days ago, I got my wish. A sick kid has left me housebound, so I took my shot. The first day was a nightmare!! By 11:00am I had gone through 5 wet messes and one "other" mess that had resulted in a bath time. It was not pretty. By nap time, I was grabbing a pull-up and putting him to bed. The next attempt was much better. By 11:30am, I had no accidents and was bragging to dad when he came home from lunch. When I went to show him Tanner's big boy underwear, he was wet. Great!! One set back, no big deal. Thirty minutes later, I was getting on Tanner for spilling his drink on the floor. "What are you doing, son. Don't kick and splash the water all over the floor!" Upon closer examination, this was no water spill. He was playing in his own pee!! Unbelievable!! This child is not potty training material. Recall!!!!

1 comment:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Can I just say that I hate that question: Are you potty training? I dread it. Good luck with that! He is so cute maybe he just thinks that will get him through life :-) Who needs potty training?