Saturday, February 19, 2011

Confessions of an Amateur Runner ... 8 mile run


One of the things that I love about running is that you don't need lots of expensive gadgets to enjoy this wonderful sport. That being said, I couldn't run without my music (my other passion) and my Asics running shoes (the best shoes, ever). These 2 treasures make my runs so much more enjoyable. I am currently in training for my second 1/2 marathon in March. Why, you ask? Well, because I enjoy racing and I love to run. Enjoy running... did that really come out of my mouth? If you would of told me 6 years ago that I would be running 8 miles and training for a 1/2 marathon, I would of told you that you didn't know me at all. Running has developed into a wonderful hobby that I love and get to share with some great friends. Somedays I really need to get away, enjoy the fresh air, and get a great workout in. Plus, it gives me an excuse to listen to my music.

Ok, sorry about that rant ... back to training. The 8 mile run. For some reason this run was scaring me. My training has not really gone as planned, due to five, adorable, but sometimes needy kids. Getting back on track has been a bit tricky. I was lucky to have a good friend join me for this run. A running buddy is a lifesaver when running over an hour. Even I can get bored :) The clear, blue sky and bright, shining sun that I woke up to this morning, made me believe that this run might turn out ok. A bit chilly, 32 degrees, but I can work with that. It was one of those runs that was on track from the start. First 4 mile lap went smoothly, a little windy, steady pace, and my legs were feeling strong. Lap 2 would of been perfect, minus the sidewalk that tried to take me out. I caught myself, luckily. I must of looked real cute trying not to face plant onto the sidewalk. ( Quit laughing at me)

Running has taught me a lot of life lessons, today I am reminded: why worry? I know that I will have good and bad days running. Worrying about which run I will face when I put on my running shoes robs me of the fun of running. If I can't enjoy the run, why run?

No comments: