Saturday, February 13, 2010

Confessions of an amateur runner ...

It was a cold one today as my friend Keri and I made our way outside to run our 6 miles. Maneuvering around mounds of snow has been a challenge as we continue to change our running course to keep up with our changing mileage. Taking a break from the treadmill is a must when running more than 5 miles. After being sick last week, I was worried about this week's long run. I took it easy on Friday, because my body was so sore!! My husband tells me that I am getting old, but I don't want to believe it!! (He is right, of course!!)
Good thing I had a friend counting on me, I was fighting the run. Once we got out there, it was not as bad as I had imagined. After the first mile, I began to feel my toes again. It was nice. Running with a good friend has many advantages, we talked the whole time and made our run seem much less painful. My legs were tired as we kicked to the finish, but we did it! Six miles, yes!!! After the run, I mentioned that we just need to run that course twice and then some to cover our 13.1 miles. We both groaned!!! Week #5 check, bring on week #6. We have made it to the halfway mark in our training. Yes!! A milestone.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

YAY for six miles!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome news Steph!! I so wish I was there to run with you guys:) Having friends like that to live life with makes life so much more wonderful. Wow I miss everyone there so much. We still have yet to make connections with great friends like you guys here. I wish you both the best of luck on the big run and wish I could be there to cheer you on.

Valerie