Saturday, February 20, 2010

Confessions of an amateur runner ...

Today marks the end of week #6 in my 12 week training program for my first 1/2 marathon. Training has gone surprisingly well, but now I am getting scared. Truly, deeply scared!! On Friday, I mailed my registration form - the point of no return. No way am I going to back out now and waste my hard earned money (well, my husband's hard earned money.) BTW, thanks to my loving husband that totally supports me in this crazy plan to run a 1/2 marathon. He thinks I can do it. It always feels good to have someone on your side, cheering you on.

Today my training called for a 5-k Race, but I didn't find one, so I thought I would just race myself. The weather has been beautiful the last few days, so I was looking forward to a run outside in the sunshine. My body must of agreed with me because it felt so good to run w/o the treadmill :) I started so strong and felt like I was going at a pretty good pace. I decided to keep it up, just to see how well I could do. I almost fell over when I clocked my first mile at 8:41. What!!! Awesome!!! I was so excited, I believe I did a little victory leap. (Don't worry, I don't think anyone saw me) Now, for those "advanced runners" you may be laughing at my time, but to someone who usually averages a 10 min. mile, this was huge!! "In your face, treadmill, I knew that I was not running a 11 min. mile!" What is up with horrible times when I run on the treadmill? Well, that is for a later post!
Now when the excitement wore off, I realized that I could be in trouble. I was sucking wind and my body was screaming at me. I had to adjust my pace to finish, but I was ok with it. I finished my 5 miles in 47:53, under a 10 minute mile. Progress is an amazing motivator!! Week #7, watch out. I'm coming!!!

No comments: