Sunday, April 11, 2010

My 1st 1/2 Marathon ... I did it!

My 1st 1/2 Marathon race is over and I crossed the finish line with 5 minutes to spare in my race goal. It was an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Now, even a day later, it is starting to sink in. "I just ran 13.1 miles. Wow!!" I haven't decided if I am happier that I did it or that it is now over. I will not lie to you - it was tough. I watched in awe when those Marathon runners started crossing the finish line. Wow!! I can't imagine running 26.2 miles. Crazy!
Let me tell you all about it ...
5:30 am - Alarm goes off. It is officially time to get up. I had woke up at 3:19am and 5:00am to make sure I didn't miss the alarm. Get dressed. Eat something small. Check and re-check my supplies: MP3 player, knee pads, watch, energy bar, gloves, etc. Check and check!
6:05 am - My running buddy arrives. Yes!! We are both nervous but excited. Arrive at the race. Start hunting for a parking space. (Always a challenge) Find a spot. Attach running bibs and timing chips. Check for wardrobe malfunctions. Head to the port-a-potties. Yuck!!
7:00am - Meet up with friends. Shivering from the cold and the nerves. Laugh and giggle, we always manage to make every race fun. Take pictures and pray!
7:30am - Get into the massive crowd of people and get ready to start. No turning back. Ready, get set, go....
I felt great from the beginning. I usually hit a wall between 4-5 miles, so I was waiting and ready. No wall. Yes!! At mile 5 we are starting to see the first racers getting ready to pass mile 9. It was crazy. They were really moving. At mile 6 (the halfway turn) we did a little cheer. Only 6 more miles to go. No problem. At mile 8, I had to make a quick pit stop at the port-a-potties. Five babies will do this to you. I was still feeling good, so I was very encouraged. My left knee and hip had been giving me a little bit of pain, but nothing too bad. By mile 10, with every stride I was getting a pain. I tried not to think about it and listen to my music. At mile 11, I took a 30 second break and walked to try and stretch it out a bit, but it felt worse to walk. When I finally saw the finish line, I was so happy. I crossed the finish line at 2:25.36. Yes!! My goal was 2:30. I did it!! At the finish line my family and friends were there cheering me on. It was a wonderful feeling. I am fighting some pain, but I am sure that I will be feeling better in no time.
Crossing the finish line. I look a little scary! :)
Getting a much needed hug from the family!
My running buddies - Keri and Nikki. Great job ladies!!
Kallie in her first race. 1.2 miles. Over 700 kids racing!

Great job Kal. 8:35!! Wow! We are so proud of you!

2 comments:

LauraC said...

AWESOME!
Congratulations!! Good time too!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

YAY! So proud of you! You guys rock. :)

We need to plan a play date b/c our neighbors have a trampoline that the boys are DYING to go on the only problem is we don't know these neighbors. I mentioned that Tanner had one and that is all they have talked about for about a week! HELP! :)

Congrats on your time and your race!!!!!!