Monday, October 12, 2009

What has happened to my girls?

Most moms would agree that the most stressful part of their day is getting the kids off to school. At my house mornings bring out the best in all of us. :) My kids wander around the house like they are stuck on a foreign planet. What are school clothes? What are shoes? How do we get dressed? Why do I have to comb my hair and brush my teeth? Really? Really? Most mornings, I feel as if I am teaching them all over again. I try to get a routine down and get as much as I can done the night before. (this does not always happen, shocker) So, last week, I wake up, ready to face the chaos and get the kids out the door on time. In the kitchen , I find Kallie (7) and Rylee (5) dressed (with shoes) and smiling at me. They were totally ready for school and had even brought up their book bags and made their own lunch. They made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cut the sandwiches and placed them into baggies and put them in their lunch box. They also included: drink, fruit snack, chip, and a brownie. I was shocked!! I rubbed my eyes, convinced that I was dreaming and looked again. Yes!!! They are learning!!! I am an amazing mom!! I told them I was so proud of them and that they were going to get to pick out a treat at the snack bar at school. This was answered with squeals of delight!! Who knew that simple reward would be worth so much to them. They asked me if they could make lunches again tomorrow morning and I said, "you can make lunches every morning!"

The next morning:

I hear the girls in the kitchen and I thought I would go see if they needed any help. I crawl out of bed and walk into the kitchen. The girls are dressed and all ready for school. I smile and ask if they need any help. They request a few items from the cabinet and as I reach for the door, my eyes happen to glance at the clock on the stove, 5:30am. What!!! It is 5:30 in the morning and my daughters are ready to get in the car and drive to school. I turn around and tell the girls that they have 2 1/2 hours until they have to leave for school! You have to go back downstairs and get into bed and rest. All I got was blank stares. "Go try to rest and I will get you up in a little while." I was glad to hop back into bed, but I am pretty sure that they did not get back to sleep. They were wide awake by this time. School will be a challenge today. I will be getting calls from the teachers asking when I get these kids to bed. We need to work on telling time!!

1 comment:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

I am laughing so hard that I have tears in my eyes! SO CUTE! That is awesome that they are helping out so much though. I cannot imagine when the boys get to that point :)