Friday, June 26, 2009

An Interesting Vacation ...


We are back!! I know it has been a while since I have posted. Forgive me!! Life has been crazy and mom has been sick!! Well, I am getting ahead of myself....

Vacation in Virginia was beautiful. I didn't realize how much I needed to get away, until we actually got away. We arrived on Sunday and look at our view. I love to see the mountains. I miss the mountains. Michigan is pretty, but much too flat for me.

The kids had swimming on the brain, so that is what we did first. It was a lot easier this time due to the fact that the kids were 2 years older. Last time we were there, Tanner was a baby. That is always an extra challenge. We did find out this week that Tanner is going to be a water dog like his sisters and brother. He had no fear and was dipping his head under the water and coming up laughing. Mom was not so thrilled. "Please, son, don't scare me like that!" Before he would jump into the pool he would request us to move away because, as we should already know, he is a big boy and doesn't need our help. We are all for developing confidence in our children, but too much is dangerous!!

We enjoyed a number of fun activities. The kids went horseback riding which was fun to watch. Tanner was all for it and was whining when we got done. The kids now want a horse of their own. Yes, we will get right on that. Putt-putt is always a must. The kids love it, but I feel bad for the poor people that get stuck behind us. We tend to take some time. Usually, we are sending a group of kids ahead as we finish up. It doesn't help that I am terrible and it takes me just as long as the kids. Oh well, we are having fun together as a family!! The kids often remind me that they are doing better than me. Thank you! That will keep me humble!!

This year we did try something new. On Monday night we went to a magic show. We thought the kids would enjoy it. We had a great time. The magician was very entertaining and family friendly. None of that weird mystical junk. He even did some rubber band tricks that the kids loved. It was entertaining to watch their faces in awe and hear them say, "how did he do that?"

Now we come to the interesting part of the vacation. Maybe I should say the frustrating part. Mom got sick!! That horrible sore throat that put me in the ER just 2 months earlier was back. To say that I was not happy, is a vast understatement. I was not going to let this ruin my much needed vacation. Because we were out of state, we had to go to an urgent care to get treatment. The urgent care didn't take our insurance, so back to the ER. Luckily, it was a slow day and we were in and out of there in about 1 hour and I was shot up with good drugs. By the next morning, I was feeling so much better!! Praise God!! It was over. I thought!! No!! The day before we left, I got horrible heartburn and a messed up stomach. I chalked it up to eating junk food and not getting the workouts in that I had planned. The long drive home was uncomfortable, but I made it. Surely, I would feel better after a good night sleep in my own bed. Wrong again. I was miserable and not getting better. Refusing to make another ER trip, I held out until Monday and went to see my doctor. She told me that the wonderful concoction of drugs that they gave me in VA. made me feel much better, but probably burned a hole in my stomach and possible my colon. Great!!! Now I am on strong stomach meds and am just starting to feel normal again. Wow!! I think I need another vacation. We go see my folks in July. I can make it!!!
















1 comment:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

we must both be enjoying nap time because I noticed that you posted this 4 minutes ago!

I am so sorry you were sick, YUCK! I love the family picture. It looks like you'd all had a long day and weren't TOO excited about the pic. It is a realistic portrayal of family vacations :)