Friday, August 14, 2009

Confessions of an amateur runner

Thursday night I set out to get my 6.2 miles in so that I would prove to myself that I would not fail in my 10k race on Saturday. It had been one of those weeks, so I was behind on my training! Big surprise, I know!!! I arrived at the park at 6:30pm and got out my new toy (an arm band for my mp3 player) Yes, sis, I finally got one. I know I am an amateur at this running thing, but no one says that I can't look the part. I get everything properly hooked up, stretch and off I go. My first lap, I struggled to get a good pace and my legs felt like lead. Great!! This is going to be a long, long run. By mile 2, I was not feeling any better and to make matters worse, the humidity was getting to me. "How hot is it out here!! I am dying!"
My mind starts to think back on my week, trying to justify why I was performing so poorly.

This is what I came up with ....

Sunday: felt sick to my stomach all day and went home to rest!!!

Monday: not feeling much better, but must get a run in: 3 mile run

Tuesday: woke up with my "sore throat" that keeps haunting me every 3 months. I called the doctor and got in at 9:10am. I am not missing my race to this. I am a little fired up!!! Feeling a little better by evening, so I go run 3 miles. (Sorry Jenny, I had to)

Wednesday: knew that I would not get a run in due to church, so grabbed my watch and went to jump on the trampoline with the kids for 50 minutes. It was a great workout. I could hardly walk when I got off. (I can hear your laughter at the thought of me jumping with the kids. I am sure it was quite a sight, but the kids and I had a blast. It makes you feel young again. That is never a bad thing!!)

Thursday: my 6.2 mile run

There is a chance that I over did it a little. Let's pray that is the case. By the time I finished, I looked and felt like I had run a marathon. My body was screaming and me and my legs were rubber.
Note to self: I need to get a new running outfit! Might as well look as good as possible if I am going to put my body through this.

I would appreciate your prayers on Saturday morning, it looks like I may need all the help I can get.

No comments: