Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Confessions of an amateur runner

Just when I think I am starting to really understand this running thing, I get thrown a curve ball. Let me explain ...

My last training run was a train wreck. I was huffing and puffing and my time was so off. It can be so discouraging. I was excusing my performance with being sick and just not quite feeling back to my old self, plus I am getting old. So today, a must run day, I pull into the park at 8:50 pm. I know what you are thinking, "great start!" I was quickly losing daylight, so I told myself to pick it up and get in what you can. Apparently, these are the magic words that my body needed. I felt amazing. Great pace, minor huffing and puffing, legs felt strong, and I was even passing people!! (most people were walking, but I still passed them, victory!!) The start of my 2nd mile, I actually felt like a real runner.

"I wonder if I look like a runner? I feel great! Let's pick up the speed. Ok, slow down a bit, let's not get crazy!! Wow!! Maybe, I do know what I am doing!"

These conversations in my head are very common. I try to keep myself entertained. Just when my pride was getting to a dangerous level, I look over to see a couple of teenagers running all crazy, and laughing. I am pretty sure they were mocking me. Ok, that answers my question about looking like a real runner. Maybe some work in that department wouldn't hurt. I thought about messing with them, by running like Phoebe in that episode of Friends, but I refrained. My luck, I would fall and break something 4 days before my race. Not good!

The downside to this amazing run is that I could not find my watch before I left the house. Who knows what my time actually was, but in my mind it was amazing. That is the only thing that really matters!! Race day is coming! Bring it on. I am ready.

1 comment:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

LOVE THE PHOEBE run idea! Kids! Great job on your running, girl!