Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Taylor 5k Race


Giving my final kick! The finishline: 30:28

The whole gang!! We need a running club!


The girls!! I think we have new running buddies!!

These pictures do not tell the whole story. We woke up to dark clouds, rain and thunder and lightening. The storm was only going to last a few hours and be cleared by 11:00. Great! So when we are walking back to our cars the storm will be over. That is pretty much what happened..

Race day morning: 7:00am
Alarm goes off. I crawl out of bed and wish I had gone to bed on time. So tired!! Get dressed and realize that the shorts that I wanted to wear I put in the wash last night and forgot to put them in the dryer. Run downstairs, toss them in the dryer. Maybe 15 minutes will be enough time? Grab my shoes, number, mp3 player, knee braces ... what am I forgetting? Oh, safety pins for my number. Where are they? Nothing like wasting 10 minutes looking for pins. Now I am late and I am eating on the run. Shorts, not dry, grab other running pants. Open the door, yuck!! I am going to get wet. Wonderful!!
8:00am
Arrive at the park with Marla (friend I talked into racing her first race) Can't find a parking place, so park in the back lot and walk. Raining a little bit, but not bad.

8:15am

Quarter mile fun run was to begin, but by this time it is pouring. Everyone that was there was under the registration tent, trying to stay dry. We must have been quite a sight to see. We felt like cattle. The kids ran in the rain, but had fun. We were pretty wet by then, but were on the sidelines cheering them on.

8:55 am

Needing a potty break before the 5k, Marla and I brave the weather and go searching. We see the "can" but getting to it is another story. Fences were set up everywhere for the carnival later that day. It was quite comical. We looked like we were playing a live version of mouse trap. To make this adventure more fun, it starts pouring rain again. We are soaked and running to cover. In the process, I miss judge a small puddle for a small river and am now carrying an inch of water in both shoes. Thinking I had time to empty out my shoes and ring out my socks before the race was a mistake. The announcement to head to the starting line for the 5k rings loudly as we reach shelter. Wonderful!
9:20 am
Race time. We are getting ready and they are giving us last minute instructions and announcements. All I hear is "blahh, ahh, ahh." I hope that was not important. Let's race.

I felt pretty good during the race. I was wet and my clothes were clinging to me, but I was racing. By the 2nd mile, the rain had stopped and the sun was peaking out from behind the clouds. The last few minutes, I was praying for some more rain. I did not reach my goal to break 30 minutes, but I tell myself that I was carrying 10 pounds in water weight. Better luck next time. My next race is a 10k in August. My first 10k. It should be fun. We will start praying for better weather.

No comments: