Monday, March 9, 2009

Brotherly Love



After a busy morning, Saturday afternoon was spent relaxing. Hayden had his last b-ball game and we decided to take the kids to a movie as a special treat later that evening. We were looking forward to some much needed rest. By "we" I mean Steve and I, the kids have no concept of "much needed rest". Surprisingly, it did not workout as planned. Every few moments, the kids came running into our room with a near death emergency. The DVD would not start, the game was messing up, the girls were fighting, the kids were dying for some food. It never stops!! After the fifth time that Emma came to us with a "complaint", I decided that this kid needed a rest or I was not going to take her anywhere. Kallie and Emma decided that they would hop into bed and rest with Daddy. So much for Daddy getting any rest!! I decided to take this time to do some reading while the house was semi-quiet. A few moments later, Rylee comes up the stairs, demanding to know where Emma was. I told her that she was resting with Dad and maybe next time she should think about treating her sister kindly if she would like someone to play with. She left determined that she could have just as much fun on her own. Not even 5 minutes later she creeps upstairs, with a long, sad face and says, "I want someone to play with". Tanner was sleeping, Kallie and Emma were resting with Dad, and Hayden was playing quietly with his bugs in the living room. "Ask Hayden if you can play with him," I response. Hayden looks up at me and says, "No thank you." (Wow! He is learning to be polite!) I tell Rylee to ask him nicely, and Hayden says, "No thank you." I then gently explain to Hayden that Rylee has no one else to play with and would it be alright if she just has a couple of the bugs that you are not playing with. "Well, ok", said Hayden. (Thank you Hayden, crisis resolved, now back to my book) The next few moments, I get to watch such a sweet moment between my kids. I stopped reading and just watched them and then, quietly went to grab my camera. See for yourself....

Hayden grabs the toy book from Target and then tells Rylee to grab a blanket. They both excitedly jump on the couch, cuddle right next to one another, Hayden adjusts the blanket so that it covers both of them, and they dive into the toy book. They are laughing and showing each other their favorite things on each page. Soon they come to a page that has bugs just like the bugs that they are still playing with. Hayden comes up with a game for them to play.

Hayden: "Knock, knock"
Rylee: "Who is there?"
Hayden: "I am a bug and I have 3 legs, a big bottom, and wings that open out. I am a ..."
Rylee: "I am a bee?"
Hayden: "No"
Rylee: I am an ant?"
Hayden: "Let's see if you are right! (lifting up the blanket) Yes!!! I want you to meet my ant Auntie."
Rylee: "Why do you call him Auntie?"
Hayden: "Because of Honey I Shrunk the Kids!
He then proceeds to explain to her the body parts of an ant and what they do!

It was so cute!!! I love it when my kids are getting along and enjoying each other's company. What a blessing! Each one of them have a special connection. I love to see them showing love!

No comments: