Monday, March 9, 2009

District Champs!!

Friday, March 6th was a night that I will remember for a long time. It was the Girls Varsity B-ball district finals. We had made it to the finals and we were up against Inter City, a rival school. They have had the upper hand in the past few years, so saying that we wanted this win badly was an understatement. Talking to my husband (the coach) before the game, I told him that I was praying that the girls played up to their talent and ability. We have a great, young team that God has blessed with a lot of talent and I wanted that to shine through in this game. The girls were ready. The coach was prepared. It was game time!! Within the first few moments of the first quarter, I knew this was going to be a battle. We were fighting for rebounds and steals and diving on the floor at every loose ball. I thought to myself, Steve has to be happy with their aggressiveness. They were playing with passion. Just as a side note, my son Hayden (9), was sitting next to me at the game and he was so nervous that at every turnover, rebound, steal, point, etc. he would lean over and give me a hug. It was so cute!! Now back to the game. Abby Blum and Alexis LaRosa were the 2 girls that caught my attention first. They were playing great. Amazing defense and a lot of hustle. I kept thinking that they must be exhausted! Jamie Janiec "the bullet" was living up to her name. That girl is crazy fast. She makes it look so easy!! Christina Downs was fighting for everything. I am sure she had more than her share of bruises to show for it. Carissa Thompson played great!! She had her own cheering section that erupted with cheers with every move she made. It was fun to watch her brothers cheer her on. You could see how proud they were of her. At one point IC, was up by 7 and then we came back to take the lead at halftime with a score of 19 t0 12. The IC fans were stunned! What is happening!! Karolyn Stephenson came in to give us a boost in our defense. She is intense!! I would not want her to guard me. She also can shoot three's and she hit a major one to put us up by ten in the third quarter. Nice job, girl!! In the 3rd quarter they made a run at us, but it was not enough. The final score was 45 to 36. What a sweet victory!! Our fans emptied the stands and rushed the floor!! It was quite a sight to see. We are so proud of you girls. Keep up the good work and beat Plymouth on Tuesday night in regionals !!! Let's go Wildcats!!!
At the end of the game, Hayden looked at me and said, "Mom, we did it! We won!!" Priceless!!

No comments: